Sunday, November 22, 2009

Winter Prep

My owners- Stacy & Dick- both went away in the car today and when they came back it was full of hay! I already have my own bale of timothy hay and the steps to my swimming pool are done so I wasn't sure what it was for. The bale of straw ended up in the aviary by the chicken food. It was so beautiful and clean and new. My pool steps are completely soggy and growing grass, and I think the brown ducks even pooped on them, but this new bale was a wondrous thing. It just wasn't in MY house. The next thing I knew I had my harness on and I was in the front yard eating grass. Now that I have tasted that front-yard grass I don't mind the harness so much, but I still pretend I'm a horse and puff up and hold my breath so my chest is REALLY BIG so Stacy has to grunt and yank on that harness to get it to go around me. Then I scamper off and it gets loose and I get my foot caught up in it, like the big doofus that I am. It's one of my favorite games, the puff-up-like-a-horse game. But I couldn't wait to get back to the aviary to see if that straw was still there. Dick had moved the iguana cage to a new spot (no we don't have one, but the cage was a hand-me-down that used to have one in there, and now Stacy puts baby birds in there in the spring). Then Stacy moved a big packing crate around, and put up a heat lamp, and invited the stupid birds in. It's much nicer in there without them, but they think they own the place and in they marched: the 2 crazy geese, the 8 silly hens, the 3 boring Rouens and Jose who follows them now, the 3 hoodlums, 3 chocolate Muscovies, and the 2 old Muscovy drakes. I kind of felt like it was my barn now, but they came roaring in to check out the new changes. Then Stacy snipped the baling twine and started throwing straw all around! It was heaven! I ate some, I kicked some up by spinning around, I rolled in it, and ate some more! But you know, those stupid birds were jumping on the bale, picking and scratching at the straw, and moving right in on my personal straw-rolling station! Norman, the big goose has always been a pain in the butt, and when HE came near my personal straw-rolling station, I jumped on him! I ran him out of there so fast the other birds just stood there, jaws dropping right and left! Stacy hollered at him, too, and came to help me run him out of the barn! At least that is what I thought until Dick ran over to Norman and was talking to him real nice and asking if he was okay. When I looked back at Stacy, she had this really disgusted look on her face. Well, I go out there with her every morning, feeding those chickens. It's just not fair that I can't have the bird barn and the rabbit palace and their bedroom, too, while we're at it, when I'm Dobby the Big Helper!

No comments:

Post a Comment